Cole - state college, Pennsylvania

April 19, 2006

The Ideal American Dream

I am 23 years old and about to walk into the fire known as the real world. It is now my time to take steps towards the ideal American Dream. The clock is ticking, and the time that I have to complete this dream is limited. I need to be married with 2 ½ kids living in a white house with blue shutters and a picket fence located in a high class suburb before I turn 30.

Is this what people expect out of everyone? Why do I need to live there? What if I want to have four kids? What if I hate picket fences?

The American Dream should be what each individual wants to make of it. There should be no regulations or even expectations for another person’s “American Dream.” Make of this what you like, but my American Dream is exactly that: MY American Dream. It is not ours to share. You have your own, and I have my own; everyone has their own.

I like what I like because I like it. Nobody tells me to like grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, I just do. There is no rhyme or reason to it, but I like what I like and that’s that. I do not like pineapple or coconut, but I do like pina-coladas; I can not explain it but that’s what I like. In the future, if I am happy and the people close to me are happy than I have accomplished my ideal American Dream. I really do not care if I have millions of dollars and can buy whatever I want to, because I have never been able to do such a thing and do not think that it is important in my life to be able to do so. I want to be happy and I want my family to be happy. This is what I believe because of what I like and enjoy doing. These are just a few examples of what I believe in and MY reasoning behind them. You do not have to like them or agree with them; you can take YOUR own views and set YOUR own American Dream.

I believe in this method of discovering the American Dream because of how I was brought up and what was important to keep my family happy and living what they believe is the American Dream.

Find your own American Dream. Take notice on the aspects of life that you feel are important to YOU and what YOU want.