America, I Believe

Veronica - Astoria, New York
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The United States of America has become a nation synonymous with freedom and opportunity. It is a nation that has its share of struggles but no one ever stops pursuing success.

We are a nation of thinkers and speakers; I believe that this is the land of the free. The promise of living with freedom has served as a beacon of hope to many. If there’s a mistake to be corrected, there’s no hesitation in speaking up against it.

We are nation that understands fear and can withstand the most brutal storms; I believe that this is the land of the brave. During times of hardship and despair, we stand united. There’s a sense of patriotism embedded within the hearts of Americans; promising to remain loyal to the country that has protected their rights.

We are a nation full of potential and willpower; I believe that this is the land of opportunities. Its streets may not be paved with gold and there are always obstacles to face. However, there is always a chance to move upward and Americans always dare to dream.

I believe that this is a nation that does not bind people to a certain fate, much unlike the Philippines, the land of my ancestors. I am not expected to become a nurse, a housewife or end up as a mail order bride simply because of my gender. It is here, in America, where I am allowed to chase after my dreams. Here, where I’m allowed to break the rules and cross boundaries.

I believe in America’s aspirations for the future. The United States is a progressive nation. By no means is this a perfect country for perfection is beyond this realm. This is a nation constantly striving to improve because no one should ever have reason to say, “I don’t always feel welcome here.” The faults lie not with America’s goal but with the actions of its citizens. As a nation, we are still growing, brought together by a shared love for our country. This I believe.