Land of the Free and The Home of the Brave

Christina - Astoria, New York
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

What does it really mean to be American? Like it says in the national anthem, “Land of the free and the Home of the Brave.” When people hear the word, “America”, they think freedom or diversity. Most people think that America is all about obesity and fast food. Those are just stereotypes, America is not about obesity or fast food, it’s about freedom or diversity. In America, we don’t have just one main religion, we have various religions. It also means freedom and being apart of a free society and environment. Being American, we are able to enjoy more freedom than any other country in this world.

When the word, “America” comes into my mind I think freedom. America is all about freedom. We have political, economic, religious and personal freedom. Personal freedom describes what American citizens think and what our personal choices are. We have our individual rights and freedom. America is also about economic freedom. We the people as Americans can decide on how to spend our money but we also have taxing. Also religious freedom is a big part of our lives because we have a very diverse environment. You can believe what you want to believe without discrimination and/or stereotypes. The last type of freedom is political freedom. Americans are able to vote. Americans have the right to petition their government, also they have a right to assemble (also known as to create a group). When you put all these examples together, America is “The Land of the Free”.

I am an American citizen and I live in a very diverse community. All around me, there are people that are all mixed. There are so many different cultures people grew up in. America doesn’t just have one or culture, we have various religions and cultures. I go to an all girls school, and this school is very diverse. I learned about so many different cultures that I have never even heard before. For example my best friend is from Albania and I learned so much from the Albanian culture and I actually even know some of the language because I am used to the language when I go to her house and I picked up some words that I now know in Albanian.

As a High School student living in America and being born and raised in America. I am living the American Dream. There are so many opportunities for me in this country. Being American is not about “eating burgers and fries” or being “fat”… It’s about being free.