Andrea - Mesquite, Texas
Themes: gratitude, love

The Power of Prayer

Praying for a pony, or the winning lottery ticket is nice I suppose. But there is extreme power in prayer when it is a prayer of true faith. There is nothing more beautiful to me than when I open my heart and spill out my deepest fears, desires and hopes. I believe in the power of prayer.

Last May seems like an eternity ago when my grandfather received his lung transplant surgery. Before that remarkable day, my family and I continually prayed with earnest hearts that he would receive his miracle. Prayer gives us many things, the feeling of hope and trust, something to look forward to. Hope is what gets me through the good and bad days. My prayers give me hope. They give me strength. Prayers are my direct line to God. I get the chance to pour out my heart to the one who made it. It is a relationship that is worth more than I could ever imagine. I believe in the power of prayer. From the time my grandfather got sick, to now when I hear him singing sweetly to my grandmother, I still believe in the power of prayer.

For as long as I can remember I have prayed for patience and wisdom. In my past I haven’t dated the right guys or made the smartest decisions, and I was fed up with the whole dating scene. I was looking for the right guy in all the wrong places. Then I stopped looking. I stopped, sat in silence and spoke to God. I realized that I needed to stop thinking that I know everything and what’s best for me. I told Him that I’m willing to wait, and that whenever He thinks I’m ready to send that guy to me. After all, He knows me better than anyone, so I trusted Him to know when I was ready. After that, it was if the clouds uncovered my eyes. I could truly see the world. I had been so self-involved, that I was missing life going on around me: my family, the flowers, and the shy girl in the back of the class. I didn’t just look at them– I finally saw them. And then, when I was finally able to see them, he saw me. He, him, this amazing boy that couldn’t have come into my life at a better time! I look into that boy’s eyes and I believe. I believe in the power of prayer.

I know there is power in prayer after I finish my talk with God and I get a feeling of complacency and an anxious hope all at once. I am reminded of this power every time I hear my grandfather sing or look into my sweet boys eyes. I believe in the power of prayer.