Seeing the Future

Allison - Bettendorf, Iowa

I believe in a lot of things. I believe that life isn’t fair, but everything happens for a reason. I believe in being happy. I believe in laughing when you feel like crying. I believe that if a person believes in himself or herself, they can achieve a lot. I believe that fighting for your life when you want to live is vital. I have met few human beings that apply those beliefs to their everyday lives, and one of those people I get to see every time I go to my work-study job from at Central College.

The woman that I get the honor to help every Tuesday and Thursday is in her 30’s. She lives in a happy small town in Iowa, and lives day to day. She has a happy marriage, a six-year-old son, and the most amazing outlook I have ever seen. I write her emails for her, read her online page for her, and listen to her stories. She has put together one book already, being an English major, for her, she does things like this well. She is in the process of writing another book. Her book is about her life with her disease.

The woman that I watch fight for her life everyday, has MS. MS for those of you who don’t know is Multiple Sclerosis. It is a disease my own grandmother suffered with, and it is extremely hard. She deteriorates before my own eyes. Her six-year-old son has never seen her out of her wheel chair. While I type her stories for her, with her day-to-day struggles, she laughs at me. She laughs at me for my lack of being able to spell, and pronounce, her immense vocabulary. We laugh together when I fail to understand her, because MS takes away from her muscles, she can no longer speak well. She has never once felt sorry for herself, while she struggles to control her own wheelchair at times. She doesn’t feel sorry for herself that she cannot type. She believes in being an intellect, even though she can no long communicate well. She is what I strive to be. She is what I believe in. She knows that she might not live to see next year, because she has an extremely fast moving form of MS. It eats at her every single day. She is the reason I want to be a nurse; I want to make life so much better for women like her.

I believe in being the empathetic, strong, smart-ass woman she is every single day, even when her eyes get so blurred she cannot see the day. I believe that people like her are what make our society amazing. Even though she fights every day, she fights to live, and I believe she can live that much longer. I believe in fighting for her, and I believe in helping to fight for a future for those who cannot see it anymore.