I Believe in My Minute

Alexandra - Clinton, Iowa

Whenever I feel overwhelmed or like I’m wasting my time, I take a minute. I step away from everything. I clear my mind. I “cool my jets.” I close my eyes. I sing a pointless song. I drift into another world. Within this minute, I break from what’s holding me and I let go of everyone. I release others and I regain myself.

Maybe you should not only live in that minute by yourself, but for yourself. Not taking any unnecessary detours or wasting your time on something useless. What good comes of minutes wasted? Each minute is precious in its own, and I am only given so many of them. I can’t live forever. I don’t want to look back on anything that I’ve done and realize that I wasted my time. I won’t look back and see that.

I look back on my minutes and I remember being obsessed with bouncy balls, and I remember when I used to paint one of my fingernails a color different than the rest. I remember when I had my weekly Bad Movie Sunday. Maybe you see those minutes as being useless, and maybe they were, by in my minute, I live outside of everyone else. I live for me.

So how do I live in my minute? I work smart, not hard. I take my minutes as I want to. I do as much as I can – and anyone who tells me that I have wonderful time-management skills is highly mistaken. When I got to college, I moved Bad Movie Sunday to No Homework Thursday. I spend hours a night watching TV. I argue about things that aren’t important (such as whether it’s pronounced Pets Mart or Pet Smart). But it’s my minute, and I do it for me. Take a minute every now and then. Take your minute. You have too. Who else could take a minute and make it yours?