Jenna - Westwood, New Jersey

Jenna Castle

I believe in random acts of kindness. Today, I think that less and less people know what politeness is. Of course, most people remember to say please and thank you, or bless you after someone sneezes. What I mean is being polite just because you have to, not because you feel you need to.

Everyone has had an awful day before. It started out mediocre, but one little thing after another and before you know it, you’re in a horrible mood. I was having one of those days. I had been later to school than usual, forgotten my homework, and was holding about four binders and a bag filled with clothes for cheering practice.

It was about a half hour after school ended and I was trudging back to my car to pile in my belongings. There weren’t that many people there because it was so late. I was rushing down the hallway because I could feel the papers and binders slowly moving away from my desperate grasp. As I approached the door and tried to kick it open something unexpected happened. A boy two years younger than me smiled and opened the door for me. I thanked him and was able to get outside much quicker. He had no reason to do this, he was probably just waiting for a ride and saw me struggling.

It was such a simple gesture, but it really turned my day around. One small polite act made me feel so positive and appreciated. Sometimes I think back on that day and think about how good it felt to be helped out on my bad day. I always make sure I try to open the doors for people, offer them a ride home, or help them in any way. Because you never know what you can do to turn someone’s day around.