Trusting the Small Still Voice

Cheryl - Amissville, Virginia
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in the small still voice inside. I believe we all have an inner wise guide connecting us to a greater wisdom. I have lived a life strongly connected to that voice inside. At times that inner voice warns me away from danger but most times it speaks to me about a road I must take, the right next thing. At times I don’t want to listen to the whispers and then whispers become a shout.

Coming to the place of fully trusting that voice has taken me a lifetime it remains a work in progress. I believe we are tuned in as children and can lose it as we grow and need to re-learn to trust it again.

A turning point came for me while sitting for my practicum to complete my Masters in Spiritual Psychology. Counseling theories were swirling around in my head and I was praying I would remember which skills to use with my “client”. It was the wise counsel of one of my instructors who simply stated, …”Just relax, listen, be present and trust your inner knowing, the rest will take care of itself. ” Stuck in my head worrying about the “right thing to say” I had left my heart, and was no longer present to myself or for my client.

The stakes grew higher as the trusting of that inner knowing moved into the arena of those I loved. My mother was very sick with Lymphoma the doctors were telling us to treat her very aggressively with chemotherapy, the highest of doses. The night before that first treatment I spoke with my Dad and suggested we take another route, this treatment plan felt very wrong in her weakened state. We instead chose to go to NIH where she was fortunate enough to receive lifesaving treatment, utilizing a slow infusion method of chemotherapy. I am blessed to enjoy my amazing mother still today.

Years later I got the call my husband was being flown to the burn unit after a life threatening accident. The night of the accident the first surgeon on the scene left me VERY uneasy thru both his words and actions. It felt clear I could not trust his hands on my husband. I asked for him to be removed from my husbands care and requested “the most experienced burn surgeon available”. It was then I met the surgeon who within seconds I knew was the man who would save not only my husband’s life but also the three limbs in jeopardy. Our family remains so grateful for his expert, care, which included painstakingly working to save my husbands ability to walk on his own two feet.

Practicing with the small matters helps me trust when the larger issues are at hand.

I believe when I quiet myself, the whispers are always there connecting me to the infinite, loving and abundant wisdom of the universe and I am listening… at least most of the time.