Me

Robert - Chicago, Illinois

Who has the biggest impact on your life?

Most people give an answer to this almost cliché question about another person that impacted their life in some way. Usually it is a parent or family member that taught them a valuable lesson early in their life. But, I believe that I made the biggest impact on my life. I believe in self choice and being oneself. No one can have a bigger impact on my life than me. Every person has the right to live their life how they believe and to make their own decisions.

I was first asked this by one of my early teachers, and instructed to write a couple paragraphs about this person and how they changed my life. I gave the answer myself. Being about the age of ten, I sounded like a complete maniac when all the other kids stood up to read their essays about dads and grandmas, sisters and other family members. Yet, I still firmly believed that I have the most impact on my life. Yes, other people did “help” form my life, but that is only because of my opinion and my choice I have on what they taught me. No one forced me to do anything so I learned about the gift of self choice very early.

Even now that I am older and a little more mature, I still believe in being myself. (I still sound a bit odd though when I tell other people my choice.) When a choice comes up like what to wear or what to say I do not do the popular way, I do what I think is best. If I didn’t have the right to make my own choice then why would I be who I am right now? We would all be the same person. If no one was unique then how could we ever make inventions? The world would never change.

Being you, an individual, a unique individual, changes everything in the world. Without one person being here right now, the world would not be the same. Having choice is what makes us humans and social humans, so conforming to the way you don’t believe takes away your humanity. I like being human so I am thankful for whoever taught me that I had a choice because they gave me myself. And, I love me.