Actions Are Louder Than Words

Lindsey - Clarksville, Arkansas

I believe that actions speak louder than words. I believe that saying you are a Christian and acting as one are two different things. Anyone can say that they are a Christian, but that doesn’t make you one by any means. Christians often get the name of “hypocrites”. People don’t want to become Christians because they only see the side of them doing badly in the private eye, and then acting Godly and innocent in the public eye. I get that though, why would they want to follow us? But to go around continuing with your old ways, not wanting to change, that is when you must look at yourself and do some self-examination.

A little over 83% of Americans claim to be Christians. From that, 40% claim to go to regular church services once a week and 58% claim to pray at least once a week. Could these numbers be higher I wonder if everyone who said yes in these categories truly meant it or not? The only way to find out would be telling by their actions. These stats were taken from people who said one thing, did they mean another? It is how you act when people are watching and it is how you act when people aren’t watching. Stand up for what is right and for what you believe in. “Lindsey, there is going to come a time when you will be on your own, out of high school and out of our house. We won’t be there to watch you and guide you every minute of every day.” That is what my mother told me somewhere along my senior year. It stuck with me too, I have to wake up on Sunday mornings and go to church on my own. I don’t have someone forcing me to like I have had the past 18 years. You can say anything you want, people might listen, but chances are are that they won’t believe you until you show them with your action. People should be able to look as someone and declare them as a Christian or not. “Actions speak louder than words.” I always understood what this meant, just never applied it to me and my situation. Growing up in a Christian household I never knew any different than to believe in God and to live out my faith. It wasn’t until I was in high school that I realized not everyone was and that I would be tempted with many things in high school that maybe weren’t the best of things. It was my choice on how I wanted to be looked at it high school. Did I want to have the good reputation or the bad one? I knew going into high school that I wanted to be looked on as a role model and as someone who followed Christ, and that is what I did. To be a Christian you must stand up for what is right, if you do it by mouth then you better back it up with your actions. Hopefully we can see this change in the future, and hopefully Christians can speak through their actions instead of their mouths. “This, I believe.”