Hard work

Renu - AP, APO
Themes: purpose, work

Being a teenager is not easy. We have all been through it or we will go through it. Sometimes, we get lazy and school is a drag. In addition, homework and parents are too troublesome to deal with. So, if you want to get through high school and life, you need certain qualities. I believe that hard work, determination, and self-confidence will lead to success.

Two years ago, the freshmen the were in charge of Spring Fling Dance. The dance did not turn out so great. The dance looked like a five year olds birthday party. However, when we were in tenth grade we all became closer and talked about Winter Ball, an event sophomores were in charge of. We were determined to make this dance more successful than our Spring Fling Dance. Everyone worked hard by being on time to meetings and some students provided great ideas that we could use for the dance. Also, but the officers of our class wanted everyone to be involved in different groups like: food, photo, and music.

I was the chairman of the decorations committee for the dance. This was my first time being the supervisor of a big event. I was very scared of doing something wrong, because sometime orders do not come on time or we might not meet our deadline. I did not know what to do. I asked Mrs. B for help. She said to me, “Renu, I know you have great ideas in there, but you need to put it down on paper It might be easier for you.” I looked at her and said “I know but I have a hard time doing that” Then she told me that I need to have more confidence in myself.

That day I went home and did some research. I come across many great themes such as a blue and white color scheme. I asked students and parents if they would like to suggest some ideas. Some students did come up with ideas, so I took them into consideration. As a class, we picked the theme “Winter Wonderland”. With this theme, the Decoration Committee went to work on shopping. We talked as a class, but most decisions were made by Decoration Committee. I asked the class for a budget and received more than what I asked for. We made our orders and we did not have to wait long for them to arrive.

Finally, it was time to set up for the dance. We asked parents to help us and they were a great asset. All of the students worked really hard that day. Some even spent more than ten hours setting up the dance. The outcome was spectacular! We received many compliments from parents and teachers alike. The food was grand and the music was clean and fun to dance to. The class of 2013 and other students were happy with the outcome of this event.

With a hard work, self-determination, and a little self- confidence the dance was a success. With these qualities, you can accomplish difficult things with great results. It does not matter what you are doing at the time if you are demonstrating one of these qualities. You will accomplish your goal.