Confidently Lend a Hand and Smile

Margarita - Amarillo, Texas

I never believed that I would be so lucky to work for such a great company who believes in their employees and customers. It comes with a lot of work and passion. While I find myself looking back in my career and how I have gotten to be in a Senior Management position at a large corporation (with over 11,000 employees) I get excited knowing that I get to be a part of the story.

I have my mom and dad to thank, as they have always encouraged me from an early age to live my dream. Although at the time, I didn’t know what that was, I did believe in what they told me, which was “you can do anything you want if you apply yourself and if someone tries to tell you that you can’t, then show them why they need you”. I have applied and believed this to be the foundation of who I am today. Taking this advice to heart, I found that “paying it forward, smiling and believing in who you are” are what I’ve become today. Many that I work with can tell you that I am known for my smile, my willingness to help anyone, and my confidence in what I do or say.

We’ve all heard of the saying “a smile is a universal language”, which is what I truly believe as I walk by someone who is having a bad day a smile goes a long way. It helps to open a dialogue, gives encouragement and most of all gives positive energy.

Someone may not know that they need my help, so knowing that I might be able to help one of our area managers get out a mass communication about a planned outage in their area, I reach out to him to let him know that we have a system in my department that can do this automatically for him. This prevents him from having to go door to door, which will take a couple of days. Although this creates some added work on my end, I know that this will be remembered for a long time, which will help me have an open door should I need them in the future.

Believing in my values, my faith, and my efforts are who I am, which I live by on a daily basis. I have no problem sharing with anyone, the fact that I enjoy shopping or Christian music and because I am willing to share “who I am” people are comfortable with me and are will to open up to me and share their thoughts. It’s a matter of letting them know that I am no different from them. I put my jeans on one leg at a time-just as they do.

These three things are what I believe in and help me know who I am. It is what gives me my energy and passion. So know who you are and what you believe and live by it, because it can go a long way!