Sticks and Stones

Hayden - Sugar Land, Texas

Themes: respect
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The old saying goes, “Sticks and stones may break your bones.” Have you ever walked into a room and all eyes are on you? Hearing only the faint whispers of people snickering, “Look! There’s the fat girl!”

For those of you who haven’t, I can assure you, it isn’t a good feeling. It was one of the hardest things I had to go through… waking up every morning; looking at myself in the mirror and hearing all those hateful words flood my brain. Being fat isn’t a walk through the park. Being fat in a public school is like being the black sheep of the family. No matter how hard you try to fit in, you’re always teased, you’re always ridiculed, and you’re always the odd one out! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hateful words stay with me.

Our teachers try and teach us that it doesn’t matter about what’s on the outside, and that it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Yeah, sure, that is very true but kids DO NOT CARE! I think it’s mostly because they don’t realize how much it affects the victim. Plenty of kids that called me fat thought it was funny, but they never saw how much of a scar it left with me… words like fat-@$$, fatty, cow, the list goes on! Even now, those words creep into the back of my mind, and I’m left with a constant reminder! From the ages of eight to eighteen being fat is the hardest. Since kids our age tease us to our breaking point. It hurts to hear that from your peers. You want to be able to impress the people you go to school with, or play sports with, or whatever, not have them think you’re this “un-cool” fat kid! You tend to care about what others think; even I do and I try and keep my, ‘I don’t care what you think’ persona, but sometimes that doesn’t always work.

Now for those of you who have recently met me, I’m sure you don’t understand why I am writing a paper about being fat. I have lost LOTS of weight in the last year. I had finally reached my breaking point, my rock bottom, whatever it is you’d like to call it. I was tired of being, “The fat kid”, enough was enough! I joined the swim team and exercise on a regular basis now. Those terrible things I had been called did two things for me. 1) They would make me think to myself about how heavy I was, and how unhappy it made me to look the way I did. It gave me the motivation to lose so much weight! Yes, it hurt to realize that I was stuck with my chubbs, but some good did come from it. 2) Since I have done it, I feel healthier, happier, prettier, and just better all together! It has helped me get faster in my swimming, run faster in soccer, and even look cuter in my little summer shorts!

Society now-a-days is so harsh! Not just to the fat kids, but to anyone who doesn’t fit the stereotypical perfect teen. I’m still the same girl I was 25 lbs heavier, just now society “accepts” me more. I haven’t changed one bit, I just didn’t fit the image of what people believed a girl my age should look. Society is just way too judgmental and we live in a world where appearance does matter when it shouldn’t!

Having gone through my fat phase has made me a better person. I have more respect for the heavier kids because I know what it’s like to be teased and excluded because of my weight. It has helped me excel through my sports, but most importantly, it has made me more confident and, to me, a better person! So, this is to all you mean people out there: Thank-you for calling me fat! Yes, it was a horrible thing to endure, but without your harsh words I don’t think I would be the person I am today. You have unleashed the happy, beautiful person I’ve always been on the inside! Bottom line, words do hurt, so think twice before you call someone fat, ugly, stupid, or anything hurtful! Remember all the clichés because, words DO hurt!