What are True Friends?

Kenji - Sugar Land, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The dictionary defines friendship as, “the state of being a friend.” What do you think a friend is? Not just an ordinary friend but a true friend. A “friend” can be just someone you know. Someone who you would speak to. Yes, everybody should have at least one friend, but tell me do you know if you have a true friend? This is why I believe in true friends.

I think a true friend is someone who is loyal to you. Someone who will stick by your side through the good and bad; through thick and thin; someone who is always going to be there for you no matter what you need them for; someone that will give to you without expecting anything in return. Not only are true friends loyal but they are trustworthy as well. A true friend will never let you down. Around a true friend, you can be very comfortable and true. Someone you can tell your deepest secrets to knowing they won’t tell anyone else. In other words, someone you can trust.

I think a true friend will always understand you. To your friends you can speak freely with them and they won’t judge you and will love you for who you are; someone who will never lie to you and will always be truthful to you even if the truth hurts; someone who will lend you their shoulder to cry on; someone who you can go to for advice and guidance and be a good influence to you.

I have a few true friends in my life that without them, I won’t be who I am today. Not a day goes by in which I don’t talk to them. They can sense when I am feeling down or when something amazing has happened. This past summer, when my grandfather had passed away from cancer, my pain was pulling me down. When they saw my sadness they consoled me with prayers and encouraging words. After they helped me I felt rejuvenated, I felt alive again. I wanted to go out and help other people that were like me, down and depressed and help them how my friends had helped me.

When I see my friends, I sometimes learn new and different things from them. All of my friends have a different meaning to me because the all have a special quality in them that makes them my friend. Every one of my friends is different. Some are smart, some are funny and they are all my friends because they believe in me.

I am now developing into a better person because of the accountabilities we have in our friendship. This is why I believe in true friendship.