The Ice Cream Theory

Dyan - Ballwin, Missouri

Themes: tolerance
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I could never imagine myself hating or even disliking someone because of their preferred ice cream flavor. I might think they are a bit strange (coffee ice cream), but it sure wouldn’t tip the scale on my feelings towards them. Let’s face it, some people are rocky road, and some people are fudge ripple. If we all could use the Ice Cream Theory as a basis for tolerance in our lives, I believe the world would be a far kinder place.

Let’s take religion, if you apply the ice cream theory, we could, for example, say that Catholicism is strawberry ice cream, the Jewish faith is chocolate, Muslim faith is butter pecan, atheists, well they just don’t like ice cream, and that’s okay too. I may not like strawberry ice cream but I sure wouldn’t begrudge the strawberry lovers of the world the pleasure that they get from it. Of course I would really prefer that it not be shoved down my throat. You wouldn’t shove your ice cream down someone else’s throat if they told you they didn’t like it or want any, would you? Of course you wouldn’t. You also wouldn’t lump all butter pecan ice cream together; there are many different brands, some good, some not so good.

If we apply the theory to race, Americans could be butter pecan, Mexicans, bubblegum, Asians, cookies and cream, and Africans, red velvet. All of these are ice cream; they all start with milk, sugar and cream, then the different flavors are added. Each race of people has its own unique flavor that makes it what it is. All the different flavors are what allow us to have ice cream parlors where they can all sit side by side to create a beautiful display of deliciousness. It would be silly to have a separate cooler for each flavor just because they don’t taste or look the same wouldn’t it?

Let’s look at sexual preference, some people surely enjoy vanilla ice cream and some would prefer cinnamon swirl. Your taste in ice cream as in sexual partners is something that you are born with. You either like something or you don’t. Just because you are predisposed to like vanilla, does not mean that you should have more rights than someone who prefers cinnamon swirl, does it?

I have always strived to be open-minded and tolerant of others, most everyone deserves to be treated with respect, and should reciprocate by respecting others, no matter their race, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. When we learn to embrace our differences, we can truly begin to experience all the wonderful flavors of humanity. This, I believe, and I am a mint chocolate chip kind of gal.