Fairy Tales

Grace - Pleasantville, New York
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that the ugly duckling will turn into a swan, and that a swan will turn into a beautiful girl. A girl so strong that woodland creatures and little men will help her snag her frog prince. The stories some call childish are the thing keeping people up when they are down. Nobody can ignore the love that flows from a Disney movie, or the comfort of a favorite story told on a parent’s knee. The “once upon a time” helps people keep moving when times seem tough, it’s the optimism shining through the haunted forest. These tales tell princess wannabe’s and soon-to-be knights to be good, to be courageous, to reach for the stars and remind them that everything will be okay. People need the glistening wings of a fairy giving us that last bit of magic. The last few whispered lines of a bedtime story, when the kids already fast asleep, are the last drops of hope for survival. I believe in fairy tales.

Despite many wicked stepmothers’ best efforts, fairy tales have spanned time, ages, countries, and imaginations in an attempt to comfort people when all is lost. Fairy tales are the map leading everyone through all of life’s turns and brambles, they give the lesson that we need in a sugarcoated manner making it easier to swallow what we most desperately don’t want to hear. With the story of the girl being found by a lost slipper, we learn that even when all hope seems lost kindness shines over the rags that cling to the body. From the girl trapped in a tower, we learn that nothing can stand in the way of true love. From the boy with the beans, we learn the terrors of greed, but how truth will prevail in the end.

There is no situation that can’t be solved in a fairytale; the heroes always win in the book slipped under the pillow. Life is a never-ending story filled with terrifying horrors and laughing elves. But when all seems lost and a terrible dragon arrives, don’t worry. A smile will go a long way; by removing the thorn from the lions paw even the ogre threatening to turn you into jam and bread can be tamed. The kindness, honesty, love, adventure and life that overflows from a fairytale keep me coming back for more. I believe in fairy tales, I believe in their power to stop any tears, refine any conscience and puzzle-piece together any shattered heart. So with closed eyes I dream, I believe I can fly and I wish on a shooting star, because I know that in the end everyone lives Happily Ever After.