Laughter and Sadness

Steve-o - Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Laughter is the shading of sadness and a smile is the only cure for pain.

The first time I discovered comedy was at the age of ten. I did things that made people laugh and enjoy the laughter when they felt sad. My family described me as a funny child. The first time I watched comedy was when I first watched Bill and Ted’s Big Adventure. It added humor in places that it didn’t belong.

Red Skelton and Charlie Chaplin are my two most favorite comedians of all time. I discovered Red Skelton at the age of twelve. My dad was watching “The Red Skelton Show” with my older brother. Red Skelton changed characters fast and moved with his body to imitate the type of character he was supposed to be. I thought Red Skelton was hilarious because he changed his voice and had different skits. I found Charlie Chaplin three years ago when I saw the movie based on his life called “Chaplin”. Charlie Chapin changed his facial expression a lot. Charlie Chaplin is magical because of the makeup that he uses and his mustache that creates his character. He has a way of walking that is like no one else and is made to be funny. He never used words and always did silent films. Charlie Chapin lived a life of misery; he expressed the sadness into his films. He reversed his pain into laughter. I believe that comedians live sad lives. When they get onto the stage, as soon as they make people laugh, the crowd pushes the energy onto the stage and creates happiness in the comedian.

In my own life, I have felt pain like some comedians. I express that into something funny. When something bad has happened to someone and they are feeling sad, I try to change the way they feel. Me living with pain every day, when I put on my Red Chaplin costume and makeup, I create happiness for anyone who needs it. I have produced one video and one play from the character Red Chaplin. I made a Chaplin video of a past life situation. It was about me learning to play baseball. I was not very good at baseball and neither was Red Chaplin in the video. From the situation that I went through, I turned it into something creative and humorous. When people laugh at my video I feel more creative to do different things.

In my life, I feel like God has played a joke on me because I feel pain and happiness all at once. As you feel happiness, the happiness doesn’t last but also when you feel sad, the sadness doesn’t last. I think of life as a story narrated by myself. My comedy is based on what I’m learning now and trying to find out what makes people laugh. Though sadness, you find comedy and through comedy you find sadness but also you can experience the feeling of happiness.