Passion For Fashion

Alexis - Yucaipa, California

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street; fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening”. This quote was stated by Coco Chanel. People use fashion to express themselves everyday and to show who they are. Fashion is something that allows people to be creative, bold, dramatic, and/or beautiful. When I look around at the thousands of people I pass by every day, I see a variety of styles. I see people wearing clothes that are “in” or the “new style” I also see others wearing their own creative, interesting styles. I notice others who wear band, movie, movie star, and sports shirts to express their interest in them. Just like music, people can be inspired by fashion.

Someday I hope to be a fashion designer so I can express myself through fashion better than I do today. I hope that I will use my inspirations and personality to create new styles that many will love.

Many people ask me, “What does fashion mean to you”? It is a great question that I think about for awhile before answering. Fashion allows me to dip into another world and escape the one I’m living in now. It also is a way that I can voice my personality without having to say a thing. The colors I sometimes wear are depicted by my mood. I wear black on any type of day, but I usually wear brighter colors when I am happier or excited. The designs and words on my shirts reflect me and my beliefs or actions. I don’t wear revealing or inappropriate clothing because I don’t want people to think of me as something I am not. I know that others judge a person by how they dress and I refuse to give them the wrong idea.

Fashion is also important to me because I can be who I want to be through it. I don’t have to or choose to dress like everyone else, because then I wouldn’t be me. I dislike copying everyone else and being just like them. I personally think it is better for people to have their own styles and not to just jump on the bandwagon because it’s “cool” and popular. People shouldn’t care what others think about them and their styles, because maybe they are inspiring someone else to be themselves. As John Fairchild has stated, “‘Style’ is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style”.

Personal style is at its best when it brings out your best qualities that makes you look and feel the best inside and out. Having your own bold, creative style can give you the confidence to get through every day. When you look good, you feel good. As Coco Chanel declared, “The best color in the whole world is the one that looks best on you”.