Archives: Essay

The American Dream Lives On

Written by Yasmina Shaush and Published

As a young immigrant to the United States, Yasmina Shaush feels the weight of several generations who have high expectations for her. Ms. Shaush has come to believe that the beauty of America is the opportunity for success through hard work and determination.

Categories:

The Birthright of Human Dignity

Written by Will Thomas and Published

In his 1953 memoir, “The Seeking,” Will Thomas detailed his family’s experience of moving to an all-white New England town. His essay explores how his own bigotry once shaped his beliefs.

Categories:

Remembering All The Boys

Written by Elvia Bautista and heard on NPR’s Morning Edition

Elvia Bautista was devastated when her brother was killed in a gang shooting. Now, she believes in remembering all the victims of gang violence even when doing so may endanger her own safety.

Categories:

Evolution

Written by Lauren LeBlanc and Published

When she was young, Lauren LeBlanc had grand dreams of living in New York and singing on Broadway. Instead, she became a mom and schoolteacher in suburbia. While it’s not the life she once imagined, LeBlanc now knows she wouldn’t have it any other way.

Categories:

The Juice Box Mom

Written by Candance Gordon and Published

Candance Gordon decided she didn’t want to compete with the Alpha Moms who seemingly accomplish every parenting obligation to perfection. Gordon believes she can contribute to her children’s lives in ways that aren’t as glamorous but just as important.

Categories:

Dance Is Life

Written by Fred D'Aguiar and Published

Although he makes his living with words, poet Fred D’Aguiar is enthralled by dance: from the physicality of the art, to its powers to inspire and heal. D’Aguiar believes dance can be a source for peace, if we all join in and move to the global groove.

Categories:

Returning to What’s Natural

Written by Amelia Baxter-Stoltzfus and Published

High school student Amelia Baxter-Stoltzfus believes in the freedom offered by semi-permanent hair dye. As much as she likes trying a new look, Baxter-Stolzfus knows there are some things worth coming back to, no matter how much her life may change.

Categories:

Finding Freedom in Forgiveness

Written by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton and heard on NPR’s All Things Considered

Jennifer Thompson-Cannino was certain that Ronald Cotton was the man who raped her in 1984. But she was wrong. After 11 years in jail, DNA evidence proved Cotton’s innocence. Now, the two have a friendship based on their belief in forgiveness.

Categories:

The Hardest Work You Will Ever Do

Written by Mary Cook and heard on NPR’s Morning Edition

As a hospice volunteer, Mary Cook shares in the grief of others. But it was her own loss that taught her how to heal. She believes that recovering from grief requires not a battle, but surrender.

Categories:

Tomorrow Will Be A Better Day

Written by Josh Rittenberg and heard on NPR’s Morning Edition

What kind of world are we leaving younger generations? Manhattan teenager Josh Rittenberg says all parents worry about their children’s futures. But he believes he and his peers will see a better world.

Categories: