Archives: Essay

Demons and Dust

Written by Tori Murden McClure and Published

A childhood experience on a playground taught Tori Murden McClure a lesson about the importance of love and friendship that has stuck with her through the years and helped inspire her life’s work.

Categories:

The Blessings of Step

Written by Janet Jayne and Published

Janet Jayne has been a “step-something” for most of her life—a step-daughter, a step-sister, a step-mother. And while she recognizes the struggles that are often a part of “blending” families, she also celebrates the love that brings new families together.

Categories:

Our Lives Are Ephemeral

Written by Dalia Sofer and heard on NPR’s Weekend Edition

As a child during the Iranian revolution, writer Dalia Sofer lived with chaos and instability. As a teenager, reading Satre filled her with futility and nihilism. Now Sofer finds the possibility of joy and meaning even in an impermanent existence.

Categories:

The 50-Percent Theory of Life

Written by Steve Porter and heard on NPR’s Morning Edition

A favorite team makes the World Series while a marriage ends in divorce. Surviving life’s ups and downs led Steve Porter to believe that the good times and bad ultimately balance out.

Categories:

One

Written by Sherri Ellerman and Published

As a child, Sherri Ellerman recalls her mother being worried about her age and living in fear of growing older. However, when her mother died at the age of 36, Ellerman realized that it isn’t the number of days or months or years of life that matter. What matters is the one life we have to live.

Categories:

Rings of Hope

Written by Patrick Cleveland and Published

On August 29, 2005, Dr. Patrick Cleveland’s life changed forever when Hurricane Katrina came barreling through his home. But a so-called coincidence confirmed for him the knowledge that his life has a purpose.

Categories:

Servitude

Written by William Holston and Published

As an attorney, William Holston made it a priority to volunteer his legal services to help refugees who were seeking religious and political asylum in the U.S. One particular client helped Holston see that service to others is a privilege—and a path to greatness.

Categories:

Appreciating the Moment

Written by Jay Hasheider and Published

It was a sad day when Jay Hasheider helped his son pack and get ready to move away to college. But one moment of joy amidst the sadness was a gift for both father and son.

Categories:

Stress Yields a Sweeter Life

Written by Tim Stark and Published

If you think a Manhattan consulting job is stressful, try farming. Tim Stark has done both. He believes a reasonable amount of stress brings out his best qualities. It also produces tasty tomatoes.

Categories:

Embracing the Local Community

Written by Rebecca Haynes and Published

Rebecca Haynes, a former park ranger, believes that her life is made better by being part of a local community and a local environment, whether in a small town, a big city, or the wilds of the Sonoran Desert.

Categories: