The Power of Patience

Meredith - Nashville, Tennessee

The word, “patience” can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some think of it as simply waiting in line for their favorite rollercoaster. Others think of it as reading the whole book rather than skipping ahead to the last page. Hi. My name is Meredith, and I believe in the power of […]

Themes: tolerance

The word, “patience” can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some think of it as simply waiting in line for their favorite rollercoaster. Others think of it as reading the whole book rather than skipping ahead to the last page. Hi. My name is Meredith, and I believe in the power of patience in waiting for the results of tryouts, and some stereotypical questions that people have asked me.

In my life, soccer tryouts are a big deal for both school and travel soccer. There are two days in which you play soccer scrimmages and drills for about an hour and half and then the coaches decide what team you are on. The hardest part of the tryouts for me is waiting to find out what team I make. I have to use patience to not be anxious while waiting for the coaches to call or email me. While I wait, I always remind myself that it’s okay if I don’t make the team I want. The coaches make the choices for a reason, and it takes a while to finalize the choices. Each tryout helps me get more and more patient while waiting for the final decision.

Another important use of patience is tolerance. Because I am a triplet, many people in my grade in elementary school would come up and ask me, “Can you and your sisters teleport messages through your brain without talking?” I would always just laugh as I thought of Marliese, Morgan and I just having to think things rather than say things. Another question that was frequently asked to me throughout my life was, “How does it feel being a triplet?” That question bothers me because as I have thought about it in the past, I don’t really feel anything. It’s just like having three best friends who see each other 24/7. That question has been asked to me so many times, that I just answer the same simple answer every time. “It feels cool.” When I was young and my friends would ask me that, I would get mad and reply, “I don’t feel anything!” Patience has taught me to overcome tolerance.

The power of patience has taught me to be calm, happy, and tolerant. If patience didn’t exist, we would always be angry and demanding. Hi. My name is Meredith, and I believe in the power of patience.