Dedication, Persistence, and Determination.

Brandon - Cheektowaga, New York

Every single one of us sets goals for ourselves to do well and aspire in life. But what happens when you fall just shy of these goals? Or if they are just simply out of reach? This, I believe, is where these three key traits come in; dedication, persistence, and determination. Not only should you sell yourself short of these goals, you should push yourself and raise the bar. As the rapper Juelz Santana says, “If you fall, get up and try again.”

College, for me, was a big life altering experience. While in high school, I was always above average at everything. Whether it was sports, academics, or even leadership, I was ahead of the crowd and excelling. However, once I got to college that all changed. I soon found out that I was quite the Average Joe on campus, and that does not sit right with me, nor is it the person I set out to be.

For example, ever since I could walk, I’ve always has a soccer ball at my feet. For the past fifteen years of my life, I have played soccer, and I have played it well. In high school, this is what I excelled most at, and because of my hard work, I was invited to the Senior All-Star Game my senior year. I will never forget that game, the smell of the turf, the touch of the ball at my feet, the filled stands of coaches scouting and friends and family support; it was truly a day to remember. It was at this game that I realized that college soccer was plausible in my future. After the game, I was essentially recruited by the coach here at Buffalo State. Little did I know, being recruited does not necessarily mean you are on the team and I was actually quite dumbfounded when he told me. After I watched a season go by, without playing, I got to thinking, I must have been recruited for a reason and if so, why not train harder and come back even stronger next year? Soccer is, and always will be my life, and I will be damned if I let someone tell me I’m not good enough.

But the biggest part of college is the academics. Now I knew college work was a lot harder and more abundant, but I guess no one really knows how bad it is until they experience it for themselves. I would definitely say that this first semester has been a wakeup call for me. For a fairly good student, I’m struggling with school for the first time, and I refuse to let that drag me down either.

I believe in dedication, persistence, and determination. Without these basic beliefs, I wouldn’t have the strength in me to achieve the things I want to be that will in turn, help me get to where I want to be. Work hard, and never give up; my motto and words to live by.