The Harder You Work the Luckier You Get

Tim - White Heath, Illinois

Have you ever been in a situation where you study as hard as you can for a test and you still feel like you are going to fail but when you get the test back you get an awesome grade. A situation like that proves that the harder you work the luckier you get. My dad, who plays an important role in my life, always tells me this quote can apply to anything in life whether it is studying a test or applying for a job or even sports.

The belief, “the harder you work the luckier you get”, is a true statement which I think every person should have a strong belief in. This statement applies to everything in life ranging from a job or career to sports. In other words, if an individual does his best at what he does he will have great success in what he is doing. The lucky part is the success you get after you have put in the time to do your work.

I have done my best to live by this statement and the rewards were really great. I play basketball and over the summer I have tried to put in the time to get better at the sport. I really tried to work hard in the sport. All my hard work is paying off in practice because now I’m doing things I probably would not have done if I didn’t put the time in. This statement also applies to schoolwork whether it is taking notes or studying for a test. There was one particular math test I studied really hard for because I needed a good grade and I studied as hard as I could. The rewards, I got an A on the test and ended up getting the grade I wanted for the semester. It was a really great feeling.

This also applies to job applications and careers. My dad works really hard at what he does. His earlier years in his job have been tough, but he knew he was working hard and getting the job done even though people weren’t thinking that he was. Now, he is one the higher regarded workers in his office thanks to his hard work. I think coaches, who play an important role in pushing kids to their limit also need to buy into this thought process.

As I said before this statement applies to everything in life and it takes no special abilities to achieve it. My dad also says,” It takes no talent to work hard”. When I look at a problem I’m facing now I look back and say “if I work hard, I can overcome it”. If any person buys into this thought then he will live a successful life and will not regret his decisions.

Now when you look into the future and you are facing challenges, before you take those challenges head on, just remember that the harder you work the luckier you get. The challenges, if you choose to beat them, will be full of rewards in the end.