I Believe in Inner Strength

Sarah - Lawrenceville, Georgia
Themes: courage, purpose, work

Normally, when you ask someone to define strength, they think of physical strength. Because of my experiences, I think of inner strength. You have to find the strength inside yourself to move on, to learn from experiences, good and bad. We all fall, but we all have the power to rise again. I believe inner strength is what makes some people go on when others give up. I believe this strength is at the core of successful people.

My mom raised me all by herself, and gave me a solid foundation on which to build my life. She is someone that I can run to, no matter how big or small the problem. She is a great example of what you can do when you have inner strength. My inner strength comes from my mom. She showed me just what inner strength was when she battled cancer, not once, but twice. When I was 12 years old, I got the shock of my life. My mom, called me to sit beside her. She put her arms around me, gave me a hug and told me she had colon cancer. All I could think was this amazing person, my rock, my hero, was going to be in pain. Trying to understand was unbearable. Many nights, I cried into my pillow so she would not hear me.

I gained most of my inner strength that first year. I found the strength to take care of her and keep going, always telling myself “everything will be okay”. She was not giving up and neither was I. I learned firsthand, to hold my head up high and do what needed to be done. We got through that year, her health improved, and things were slowly getting back to normal. I knew the next year would be great, but I was wrong. Again, my mom sat me down, to tell me she had cervical cancer. The woman that would do anything for me was going to be in pain yet again. It took all my strength not to break down in front of her. This time I was stronger. I was her cheerleader. When she was so sick from the chemotherapy, I would wipe her face with a cool washcloth, to keep the nausea away. People like my mom refuse to give up not matter the pain, no matter the price. She is now cancer free and has been for three years.

If my mom battles another round of cancer, I will have the inner strength to juggle school and be by her side. When I moved into my dorm room, she put a decal on my wall. It says, “Dream until your dreams come true”. What that means to me is you only fail when you stop trying. My mom’s example and the inner strength I gained through her bouts of cancer, have made me the woman I am today.