Wanting More Than Average

Kristina - El Cajon, California

When did average become something to strive for? I believe that as parents we should want our children to strive for something above average. From an early age I have encouraged my children to find out what it is that they are passionate about, and to pursue their dreams. I also encourage them to set high educational goals for themselves, and not to settle for less than they are capable of. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have unrealistic expectations of my children, but I do push them to be the best they can be. In my dealings with my children, I see that sometimes they view my encouragement as a demand for perfection. In no way shape or form do I expect my children to be perfect. I do want them to push themselves, and believe in themselves, and all that they are capable of.

In most high schools all that is required for students to participate in athletics is an average G.P.A. I believe strongly that children should have an above average G.P.A. to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities, because then and only then will they have the upper hand as far as their futures are concerned. To get ahead in America’s society today, one must receive a college education. Average grades are not going to make it easy for our children to get into the colleges of their dreams, and in fact will make it nearly impossible to go directly into a college or university. I believe that if the bar is set higher for our children, then they will be better armed to go out into the world, and tackle each and every battle that lies ahead for them.

I believe that encouragement goes a long way in parenting children. It’s easy for kids to do just enough to get by, and it’s not always easy to devote the time necessary to achieve more. It’s my job as a mother to teach my children that life is not always easy, but if you do the absolute best you can, and follow your heart, then it will be worth it! If the school systems are not going to require more of my children, then I will. I want to give my children all the tools necessary to become successful in life, and the confidence that they can do anything they set their mind to.

Recently I have found that not all parents have the same desires for their children. Although, it is not easy for me to understand why others don’t want more from their children, they are entitled to their beliefs, just as I am entitled to mine! I give the same kind of support and encouragement to all children I come in contact with, not just my own. Our children are our future, and I want our future to be far above average.