The Power of Kindness

Elizabeth - Cherry Hill, New Jersey

I believe in the life changing power of an act of kindness. When I was in high school in the late 60’s, circumstances of poverty, lack of resources, and gender discrimination prevented me from even considering attending college. In the spring of my senior year, I was called to the guidance office where I was […]

I believe in the life changing power of an act of kindness. When I was in high school in the late 60’s, circumstances of poverty, lack of resources, and gender discrimination prevented me from even considering attending college. In the spring of my senior year, I was called to the guidance office where I was informed that my grade point average qualified me to be the class valedictorian, but because I had not applied to college, that achievement would not be mine. When John Y, my AP English teacher, learned about this, he recruited Mary A, my Latin teacher, and they went to work.

Within two weeks, I received a call from the University of Pittsburgh to interview with the admissions office. One week before graduation, I received my admission letter, with an offer of a full scholarship. My name appeared on the graduation program: Class Valedictorian, Academic Scholarship to the University of Pittsburgh.

Their act of kindness dramatically changed the course of my life.

I graduated, an English major, of course, and in the fall of that year, found myself teaching high school English in Virginia. I went on to earn a graduate degree and have remained in the classroom for most of my career. During those years, I have never forgotten the kindness afforded me by these two teachers, and I have devoted my life to returning that kindness by encouraging my students to remain in school and earn that degree. Sometimes, when appropriate, I even share my story.

These days, I work for the U S Department of Education and still teach part time at night because I believe, as my boss Secretary Arne Duncan, has said, “It’s no surprise that the single biggest in-school influence on student academic growth is the quality of the teacher standing in front of the classroom—not socioeconomic status, not family background, but the quality of the teacher at the head of the class.” Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe that performing a life-altering act of kindness is restricted to teachers only, but the teacher can be a powerful positive influence and is often, sadly, the only caring adult in a young person’s life.

I often wonder what path my life would have taken, where I would be, what I would be doing if it hadn’t been for the action of these two teachers in my life and their belief in me. I do know that I might not have learned, especially at such an early age, that having faith in another human being and taking action to demonstrate that faith, is a powerful and life-changing act.

Wrapped up in my day-to-day life, I never took the time to stay in touch with these two terrific teachers even though I never forgot their kindness. Nevertheless, they were with me all those years. This past winter, during one of several snowbound days, I tried to locate both of them. I tracked down the address to Mr. Y and wrote him a thank you letter. I don’t know if he ever read it and I have not received a response. But that doesn’t matter. What I do know is that anyone who has been touched, as I have, by an act of kindness from another, never forgets its transformative power. We become, almost duty-bound, to pass along the life-changing power of a simple act of kindness.