Candide

Tamara - Santa Monica, California

I believe a part of me is Candide, always believing in the best of all possible worlds. If something bad happens, I won’t even go as far as to call it bad. I call it “not ideal,” and even that would be a temporary label until I could think of a way to turn it into a positive. It’s kind of like saying so what it rained I needed to get my car washed anyway but the downside is everybody knows that not going to clean your car. Maybe that would be the day I wouldn’t go to the car wash, but “Candideness,” the keeping of the positive is based on a belief in the best possible world.

I hope I’m not as stupid as Candide.

Last Friday I found two notes at my door, both from neighbors, one lives immediately next door to me. Ursula wanted me to make sure I turn on my water for her workman who is scheduled to do some soundproofing. It’s been three years and it is still bothering her when I shower, even though we did some soundproofing between the walls after I moved in. I also insulated around my tub and bought an expensive bathtub faucet with a built in aerator. I wonder if it is possible to please her. I’m not going to get stuck trying what may be the impossible.

The other note is from a neighbor who lives in the building next door. I’m 2500 and she’s 2506. Apparently my “0” turned into a “6” and she is receiving my voting pack which according to her

needs to be corrected.” Says who? But then I thought, she’s right, and made the adjustment and sent it in.

What’s the lesson here? Try not to be like them. The only problem is I feel like I’m Candide, an idiot.