A Friend In need is a friend In deed

Tunmise - Tainan, other Taiwan

“Friends come and go.” This is an old cliché that doesn’t define a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard, or a person who gives assistance. When I was in middle school, I had lots of friends-ones that were for particular times and particular days and ones that were there when […]

“Friends come and go.” This is an old cliché that doesn’t define a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard, or a person who gives assistance.

When I was in middle school, I had lots of friends-ones that were for particular times and particular days and ones that were there when everything was great, but disappeared when things got bad. This kind of friends are what I call part-time friends because, they are never fully there. The thing though is that at that time, I had no idea I had no true friends. I thought finding someone to talk to when you’re happy if you get the opportunity to was what life was all about.

It wasn’t until ninth grade that I found out that among all my part-time friends, I had some good ones that I never really noticed. I talked to them before ninth grade but didn’t treat them like I should have. Then one day I went to one of my friends’, room (we were in a boarding school) and found myself asking the most retarded question you can ask someone. “Why do I rarely talk to you? What am I always doing with all those good for nothing freaks?” I gasped, and to my very surprise she laughed. Instead of trashing me and telling me to get off her bed and out her room, she laughed real hard. It took about ten minutes to quiet her down and when she stopped, she said “Cause you were stupid silly” and we both started laughing. This time much harder, and before I knew it, it was dinner time. We had talked about everything and anything for a whole four hours. This time it wasn’t only about good things like I usually did. I also told her about my fears, my worries and any negative aspects you can think of.

That day, what she said, might just have been some random thing that just popped out of her mouth, but to me it was true, it made me think. It made me think that yes, she was definitely right, I was stupid. I didn’t know how to pick the right friends, I was stupid enough to pick friends based on their social status, and unlike the previous ones, she knew almost everything about me and still liked me anyway. Isn’t that what friends are for? To this day, my friend and I still talk to each other. Although we are about a million miles apart (she’s in South Carolina and I am in Taiwan), we have never been closer. Today, she’s one of the very best friends I have, and I’ll do anything and everything for her.

I believe in friendship. I believe in true friendship, the joining of two souls. I believe that true friends never come and go, but they stay forever. Maybe not physically but they’re forever in your heart. True friends are people that you can always go to when you’re down to make you feel better. You can always trust them to know what to say even without asking. I believe true friendship is priceless and when attained, should be treasured forever.