i believe in hope

Vivian - Niskayuna, New York

I believe in HOPE, when people have hope and believe in positive outcomes through difficult situations, it makes it a lot easier. In December of 1999, one of the most important people in my life was diagnosed with cancer. Being 8 years old at the time, I can’t say I completely grasped the whole situation. I understood what cancer was and how it could kill people but my own mother, with cancer? It seemed impossible.

When I sat down by my parents and given this information, there was one question that raced through my head, “Is mommy going to be okay?” It was at that moment I knew things would never be the same. The look in their faces said it all. It wasn’t until 2 weeks later my mother had to start chemotherapy. Although I was young, holding my moms hand while she got a needle punctured into her arm every other day seemed to make a difference. I had to believe she was going to be okay, I had hope.

Believing in hope made all the difference because the summer of 2001 to the summer of 2002, the doctors confirmed my mom was cancer free! My mom has always been one of the bravest people I’ve ever known, and for a cancer patient like herself to believe in hope and overcome something as big as cancer is completely indescribable.

As if having breast cancer and surviving wasn’t hard enough, the doctors had to tell my mom soon after, that she had a couple months left to live. The cancer had come back, and not only was it breast cancer but it had spread to her bones and the outside parts of her brain. My mom, being the fighter she was told the doctors that, they were mistaken and that wasn’t going to happen. My family had hope and believed every day that our mom was going to be fine.

Not only did she make it though the next few months but she fought for an additional 2 years. The doctors were in complete shock to see one of the patients with bone, breast and brain to make it as long as she did. My mom fought through those last 2 years with no complaints. Losing her hair and a ridiculous amount of weight didn’t even seem to faze her. She told the doctors she made it as long as she did from the support of our family and friends and because she had hope. I believe in hope because it reminds me every day about my mother and how she made it though almost 7 years of fighting cancer.

On October 8th, 2006, my own mother, Kathy Anne Plakas passed away. My mom never lost hope, up until her last days, weighting 86 pounds she believed she was going to be cured. It was not her spirit that lost hope, rather her body failed to match her will to live. To this day I believe in hope, and the impact it has on peoples lives.