Courage: a gift

Abdi - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: courage

I believe it takes courage to be different. No matter where you are, what race you may be, only with this virtue can you escape the flow of the crowd.

I learned this in my childhood. I remember a time in third grade. There was this all time bully of the century, who wasn’t violent but her tongue was powerful and her influence: one of a kind. Every week she would pick a new girl to humiliate and on the way drag many others to join her. It just so happened that this week’s victim was Maria, a small lonely girl whom I thought had to be from southern Mexico because of her accent, eyes, and skin. The cling cornered her in recess and began their usual insults. I was sitting down watching. I was tiered of this, so fed up, but feared to have them turn against me too. I looked at Maria’s watery eyes and felt a fire burn inside. Without thinking any further I stood up marched over there and screamed my heart out. I don’t remember exactly what I said but I made my point, never again would they dare to mess with Maria: I was her friend.

Courage is the confidence that impulsed me to speak up. It’s such a powerful feeling that even if someone would have pulled me back I would have done it. I believed I could stop them and did not let my fear of being different overcome me. It may seem insignificant but to this very day I can still feel the impact of my bravery. After this, I felt stronger and daring. Let’s just say, when similar scenarios came up I just couldn’t keep to myself.

This same feeling is what makes solders fight. This gift is what made people decide to help Jews during the Holocaust. Courage has brought change and let it live. Being unlike everyone else is not easy. In fact, it’s because people aren’t brave that you see them tumble under the influence. A diverse world is beautiful because it’s a place where everyone has the valor to be different. Where would mankind be without this virtue? You can be the most terrified person in the world and still have courage: the fire to overcome fear. It takes courage to be different. This I believe.