My Grandmother.

Sean - USA
Themes: family, legacy, love

I believe that my Grandmother has influenced my life greatly. When I was three weeks old, my grandfather died of a heart attack, leaving my grandmother, Virginia Keane, to live by her self in a home that was way to big for her. Fortunately, she lived just down the street from where I live and as early as I can remember she would visit almost every day. She was just like a second mother to me. I would go to her house when I was little and spend the night just to spend time with her. She went on all our family vacations and no one minded having grandma around. She was an excellent cook and enjoyed baking for everyone. She always ate dinner at my house; occasionally bringing a delicious dessert. As I grew older and I started school, she would help me with my projects and homework. She was an especially gifted painter and drawer, so I owe her for always having the best looking art projects. If I needed a ride she would provide it, as long as I locked the car door when I left. When I was 12 I started helping her with yard work like mowing grass and raking leaves. I always left with money in my pocket and a full stomach. We played a lot of cards, and when I rarely won she would end up hitting me. Unfortunately, in April of 2006 my grandmother passed away at a relatively young age. She slipped and fell down a flight of stairs, hitting her head. This terrible death was made even worse by the fact that I was the one to find her. The image will forever be burned into my memory. Her death made me realize what my grandmother really meant to me. It’s strange that you don’t really know the true value of someone until they’re gone. I also realized that her values and beliefs have stuck with me. She was always there for people and used her skills and talents to help them. She believed a family should be close and have good relationships. She thought you could be anything you wanted to be, and she encouraged you to be yourself. I never leave my car without locking the door; I always am willing to help out; and I think people should be who they want to be, and not what other people want them to be. My short time with her taught me many things, and I just wish I could have learned more from her.