Caroline - Dallas, Texas

The day I turned sixteen was the day I found out the only thing I could control. Driving. Driving my own car, my own way, on my own time. From the time I was six, I had always wanted to drive and looked forward to my sixteenth birthday. I wanted different kinds of cars for those ten years and truthfully I just wanted to be able to drive instead of asking my parents to take me everywhere. What I didn’t realize before I could drive on my own was my car and the open road allowed me to be in charge. Driving to me is the time you can control life and this is what I believe.

Saying “when you drive is when you control your life” can be interpreted as if you drive responsibility and don’t drink and drive you are controlling your life. When I say, “driving helps me control my life,” I mean it in the sense I can do what I want to do. Instead of hearing my parents say “I hate this song or change the station I don’t want to listen to this”, I finally have the control to listen to what songs I want to. I can blast the music as loud as I want or mute the music because I’m in control of it. If I want a sad song I can pick a bunch of sad ones to listen to instead of trying to find a good one for someone else in the car. I can have my windows down and blast the music as loud as I want without the worry of hurting someone’s ears because when I am driving, I am in control and get to decide what happens. Even though I might have other people in my car and could get called a control freak, I am in control of what goes on in my car.

I have to say that running away was the original plan while driving. Getting in my car to run way from whatever drama or problems I was dealing with in the first place. Instead, I found that driving makes me face my problems. When I have to talk to my friends about it I find that after a while they get bored or give repetitive advice and the person I really need to get advice from is my self. As I get on the toll road which I do most times because it has the longest roads and plenty of roads off of it that go on longer for me to travel down. I listen to music that meets my mood and then no matter as psychotic as I look and believe me I have gotten looks before I talk to myself and figure out what to do. Before I could talk to friends and avoid my feelings but with the open road I can’t avoid my thoughts that force me to deal with my problems. No matter if it takes five minutes or two hours, when I exit the toll road, I solved my problems.

I believe in driving. Driving gives me a feel of control of my life because I can control what happens to the car and where the car is going. I believe in driving because it allows me to be in control of one part of my life. This is what I believe.