tyler - fairfield, Connecticut

I believe that music is a source that can influence human feelings. Music is all around us. It is a huge part of our society and has been for centuries. Ever since music was first invented it has been a huge influence in everyday life, religion and basically everything that goes on around us.

I believe music can alter the feeling of someone in an instant. Before sports events, players will often listen to fast beat music in order to pump themselves up and get ready for their event. Certain songs can change the mood of an individual drastically. During the civil war, when armies went into battle they would beat drums at different fast beats. Not only was this used to relay messages back and forth between squads, but also it was used to give the army energy and ready them for the upcoming battle. I believe that whatever mood you’re in, music can change that. Sad songs can bring a happy person down while; an energetic song can bring them back up. For example, a couple of weeks back I had gotten in a fight with my parents and I was in a really bad mood. Afterwards I had gone straight to my room and immediately began listening to music. After a couple of songs I was in a much better mood and for the time being I had forgotten about the fight.

During movies, producers use music to help influence what is happening in the movie. In scary movies, the producer may pick eerie and startling music in order to make the audience scared. In movies when there is a sad scene, they will often pick a sad slow song to go along with it. In scenes with a lot of action, often the producer will pick hard rock songs to enhance the action going on in the scene. This can make the audience feel the excitement of the scene.

I believe that music has a big role in our everyday lives. It can change a person’s mood/feeling in a matter of a short time and can be a powerful tool to capture an audience. I believe that music can shape our feelings like words and actions do.