A Life Lost

Jeffrey - Surprise, Arizona

IN 2001 was a difficult year for my family and as well as others. September 11th, 2001 was the worst day of everyone’s lives. In early 2001 my grandmother passed away, because of lung cancer. She was the closest thing to me. My Grandma taught me almost everything I know. She was my hero and was always their for me when I needed someone to talk to. I was always with my grandmother even when I was grounded. She lived right down the street from me until she got sick and moved in with us. My grandma was also a great factor in the community and asset. She was the president of the CSEA (California state employee Association) for 28 years. She was an inspiration to many and she will be missed. The tragedy was all happening in January of 2001. It was a Thursday evening around 7:30 Pm. It was severely storming outside. My mom, dad and I arrived at the nursing home to visit her and I looked down when I entered the room and saw that her red urine in her bag. We alerted the nurse right away. The events that occurred this night could have been prevented by an experienced nurse. I started crying when people started moving quickly, I had no clue what was going on. The Nursing home called 911 and she was quickly transported to the nearest hospital. Come to find out that day was the nurses first day of nursing. The nurse went to brush my grandma’s teeth and forgot to turn off her feeding tube so she would not swallow the tooth paste but she did not turn it off and my grandma swallowed it. She was on the road to recovery and I was about to get my favorite person back in my life again. My mother rode in the ambulance and my dad and I drove to the hospital. Mother Nature made us go slower then normal. We arrived at the ER. And the medic started saying her vitals and I was scared. I said to my mom “what’s going to happen, she can’t die.” Around 12:30 that night she was taken to the ICU was she was there for two days. I went home with my parents and I slept but not my mother. We went back 2 days later and she was on floor five at the Arden hospital in Sacramento. Our friends show up for support. I was always using Kleenex and my pockets were full of it. I told her as she lays their “hold on, I will be back I have to run to the trash can , ok I love you” I walked out of the room and I turned around and matt, one of my friends walked out within seconds and told me the news. “Jeff, I am sorry but she passed away I’m sorry”. I froze and started crying. I did not know what to do. To this day, I will always remember that very day that my grandma Lorraine P. Kagan Passed away. I will miss her dearly. I have learned that smoking is horrible for you; I will live my life smoke free and cancer free. That I believe.