Be Strong

Devan - USA

Everyone goes through difficulties in their life. This year has been the most difficult year in my life. My mom had surgery to help her breath better. During her x-rays the doctors found two brain tumors. When my mom first told me, I was so scared and I didn’t know what to do. I still continued with my head held high and a smile on my face. After my mom’s surgery, she wasn’t able to attend work for four weeks. During that time she received a phone call from her work. They informed her that she was laid off and no longer allowed to attend work. My mom had such mixed emotions between being mad and sad that she didn’t know what to do or how to react. At that time her friend was there to comfort. My mom said the first thing that went through her mind was how we were going to afford the bills. We were already cutting it close on money, how would we make it? My dad then figured it out and we were just fine. I believed that us being strong helped us get through it. I thought the bad news was over and we were going to be just fine, but I was wrong. My parents started to fight off and on causing a fight between my sister and I. We would watch them fight and yell and it hurt, so we would take it out on each other. My dad and sister finally got into it. They were yelling and screaming at each other. My mom finally told my dad his anger was out of control and we were tired of it. My dad was hurt so the next day, which was my sisters birthday he decided not to talk to us. I thought he was going to at least tell Toni “happy birthday”, but he didn’t. The day after, which was Saturday he sat my sister, my mom, and me down and he explained how he felt. He told us he had decided to move out. We needed space and he thought that was the best way. My mom was angry with him because we already had money problems. My sister and I were hurt and sad. When he told me this I was speechless. I just broke down into tears; I was daddy’s little girl. He just left knowing my mom didn’t have a job and we had no money at all. My mom tried for access but they denied us. Just recently she was able to receive unemployment. That wouldn’t cover the bills. I still continue to hold my head up high and with a smile, because I believe life is what you make of it. I believe you have to be strong to get though the tough situations. You will soon grow up to become a much better person. I know my mom is one strong and amazing person and because of that I will soon grow up to be one too.