I Believe In Guitars

Charles - Chesterfield, Virginia

I was 12 years old, standing in the nearby music store, staring at a nice all white Fender Stratocaster. I remember looking at the guitar and imagining all of guitar greats in my head, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour and many others. Once I heard those guys play, I realized I wanted to play guitar and I imagined myself being a part of the many great guitar players before me. Through my imagination I then realized I was missing that one essential thing guitar player need, a guitar.

I would express to my Dad how much I wanted the six stringed instrument. I would show him catalogs of guitars and I would also try to find some that were a low price in hopes of somehow trying to convince him to change his mind. As much as I tried to persuade him, it seemed to have no affect what so ever. I pretty much gave up on the idea of being a guitar player and thought that I should look into something else to do for a hobby.

Now I was 13 and it was on Christmas in 2001 that I received a surprise. My brother and I woke up early, the usual time in those days about 5AM, and we ran into the family room to see what gifts that were left us. I walked into the family room; I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Right in the center of all my wrapped presents was a blue electric guitar, a small amp, cable, picks and an instructional book. I was so excited, I ran into my parent’s bedroom to wake them up from a dead sleep and get in the family room, so I could open the packaging the guitar came in.

Finally after about a couple of hours, my parents were up and walking into the family room. I wanted to open up the guitar, but I was supposed to open my other stuff first. So I rushed through opening my other presents and had my guitar being the last. I opened it up and pulled the beautiful guitar out to set it up. My Dad was very pleased to see how happy I was and he simply told me, “Alright now let’s tune it.”

Once I had it tuned, I remembered hitting that open E string for the first time and I was immediately hooked. Ever since that day, I’ve loved playing guitar ever since. I have plenty of guitars now since I started working when I sixteen. Every so often, I always get out that blue guitar, which has collected stickers and electrical tap over time and I’ll play a couple of riffs on it. It’s funny how I can still capture that first time I played it. I can remember the happiness I felt and the enthusiasm I gained from every note I played. I would not trade that memory for anything else in the world.