I believe in hope

Elisa - El Mirage, Arizona
Themes: family, hope

Have you ever waited for something so long that you just finally lost hope? I have. When I was six years old I lived with my dad in Mexico . My mom was in Arizona at the time with my brothers and sisters. I remember wishing I could live with her and to talk with my family back in Arizona . Nighttime was always the worst, because I missed her the most then. I would cry silently alone until I eventually fell asleep. She would call sometimes, but not very often. She always told me,

“I’m going to pick you up soon so you can live with me, okay?”

I always trusted my mom. I would be so exited to finally get to live with her. But when she didn’t come for me I would be genuinely disappointed. I couldn’t figure out why she didn’t want me. So I just stopped getting my hopes up, because I knew that it would just cause me more pain in the end.

I had lost all hope. I thought she would never come. Until the day she finally proved me wrong. I remember being in my fifth grade classroom doing my work. I looked up and saw a fair skinned lady with a tourist backpack, and long brown hair that was pulled up in a bun. She kept staring at me and smiling. At the time I thought she was some kind of teacher because I hadn’t seen her for so long. I didn’t realize who she was until I heard her voice, it was unmistakable. I jumped up and ran towards her arms and hugged her. We went to the airport the next day.. After all the time I had waited for this moment, I couldn’t believe it was finally here. I was with my mom in Arizona , where I belonged. I have been living with her ever since.

I think the best advice I could give someone is, even though sometimes you get so discouraged that you just want to give it all up, if you have hope anything is possible. Never give up on someone you love and they’ll never give up on you. I believe in having faith, no matter what kind of predicament you’re in.