More Than a Childhood Playground

Stephanie - New Providence, Pennsylvania
Themes: nature

I believe in the protection and conservation of Nature. I believe that Nature holds us together, and we as humans are forever in debt to Nature because we are a small part of her on a grander scale.

As a little girl I spent more hours outside playing with the moss and dirt in our woods than I can count. If the sun was shining and even several times if it was raining, you could find me running around outside, grass and mud squishing between my little toes because I neglected putting my shoes on. I would collect everything imaginable that you could find in a backyard, from rocks to flowers, leaves and even the occasional bug. If there happened to be a chance when I was not outside taking in Nature’s beauty, I was inside pouring my heart out to Disney classics like “Pocahontas” and “The Lion King.” And, although it may seem silly because these are only cartoons, I believed every word of those songs. I believed Pocahontas when she sang, “every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name.” I believed Simba when he sang, “We are one.” Singing along with these Disney characters, I never imagined that these phrases would become so much more, almost a way of life for me.

Simba and Pocahontas made me realize my love of Nature and my need to conserve her and thus the journey began. Now, as a college student with limited resources and limited money, I can contribute only so much to the conservation of the Nature. These are little things, like recycling materials such as batteries, papers, plastics, and glass, or flicking the lights off each time I leave a room even if it is just for a minute. However, I know in my heart that these little acts of conservation are a start to a much bigger picture.

As I grow I learn something new each day about Nature. I learn of an animal in danger of extinction, the melting of the polar bear’s ice habitat, or the rapid rate of carbon dioxide being released into the air that is getting to be too much for Earth to handle. This knowledge only strengthens my belief in Nature and my drive to conserve her. My passion for Nature is one of the greatest things I have to offer this growing world in need of sustainability.

Humans are part of Nature and Nature gives us life, therefore I feel I am forever in debt to her. I owe Nature the best I can give her. Change, no matter how small has to start somewhere and part of that change shall start with me. When I think of Nature to this very day I always remember those powerful words sung by Simba…

“We are one, you and I

We are like the earth and sky,

One Family under the Sun”

(Marty Panzer and Mark Feldman, Lion King Two).