Smile, Make the day Brighter

shane - phoenix, Arizona

As a young child I always remember having fun. I Hardly ever remember being sad or upset about anything. I guess that it wasn’t hard with a twin and a wonderful family, but I always remember having fun and smiling. I often look at photo albums of my family and I. We were always so happy, especially when my brothers and I were young. O f course, in pictures you are supposed to smile, but those pictures bring me back to times past, where everyone in my family was happy.

The relationship between being happy and smiling is inseparable. Now that my brothers are older and my sister and her children live at my house, I don’t see as many smiles as I used to see. As a matter of fact, I don’t see many smiles at all anymore. As I walk through the halls of my high school, I see sad people, stressed people, busy people, and romantic people, to say the least. Of course you see people having fun and laughing, but I don’t think that there are enough smiles as I walk throughout the day.

When I think of a smile, I think of more than just a friendly gesture. A smile is a sign of happiness. When I smile or see somebody else smiling I always become happy, even if I was not initially happy. Twisting my face and shifting my mouth to make a smile always transforms my mood. I am comforted when I see someone being happy, or smiling. Smiles are contagious and warming. It is amazing what a difference a smile can make in changing a stranger’s day from bad to good.

Another heartwarming memory that I have when I smile or think of the smiles that I share with others is the love and compassion that I feel from those who give smiles. Just as a mother smiles as she rocks her child to sleep, a smile is a confirmation of love and enjoyment shared between two people. It is a special signal that often says “I love you” or “I am happy to be with you.”

Smiles go a long way and say much more than they seem. I have learned to smile as much as I can to brighten my day as well as the days of others. I believe that smiles can make a difference, big or small, in anybody’s life.