This Is What I believe

kendall - Surprise, Arizona

Have you ever heard someone tell you that “you can’t do it your too young”? Not a day goes by where that saying is preached to me. Two summers ago I was told another speech by a person that I is wise, my grandfather. He told me “to succeed you must believe it…not just think it”. In my head what that meant was if I wish to succeed in life I must believe I can accomplish in not just think I can.

Next thing he told me was, it don’t matter how young or how old you are you can do anything as long as you believe. When he said that I had a flash in my head, people are always telling me I can’t do something just because I’m too young. Then he said” well do you believe you can do it”. I nodded of course I do, well I think I can. He said to me what did I said you got to believe it not just think it. The next thing I told him was about what people were saying to me. I told him people are always saying that” I’m a nobody and that I will never go to the college that I wish to go to”.

Then he said it is like a closed door you never know what’s on the other side so you have to believe you’re at the right one. The he looked at me and smiled and said” you see, it’s not enough to make you “think” in the moment that you can achieve something. You have to “believe” if you’re to achieve anything worthwhile. Then I stared at him with respect and appreciation, and asked” you mean if it’s impossible I must believe I can do the impossible. “Do you know why you don’t think it”? it’s because when you start thinking you began to second guess yourself and that’s why you believe it not just think it. Then I asked my grandfather who told you this saying, and then he said this was told to me by my father your great grandfather.

When he told me he said when I believe I will gain more confidence in myself. Next he said” I had a similar problem when I was young; I was in high school when I was failing and it was the second to the last week of school. Everybody kept telling me I can’t pass and that I’m going to fail. Nobody believed that I could do it but at the end I did and pasted. That’s why I believe “to succeed you must believe it…not just think it”.