Ordinary Angels

Alison - Orem, Utah

I open the door. Sweet aromas of ham, turkey, potatoes, and pies greet my nose and mouth and tell me that I am here. As we all gather around the table, my grandfather begins to say what he is grateful for. We go through, each member of my family, and say what we are thankful for. As we draw to a close, my grandmother begins. Her eyes are already filled with tears as she begins to express her gratitude. I feel my eyes begin to water as well. Out of her mouth pours the words of angels as she expresses to us her love and gratitude for each one of us. When she finishes, there is not a dry eye in the house, except for that of the boys trying to figure out the best way to steal some food. As we begin to eat, I recall the words of my grandmother. So sweet, so kind, so gentle, so full of love, so full of why we are here.

I believe that angels are sent to Earth in the form of ordinary people. They don’t always come in glorious white robes, but sometimes in bathrobes and slippers. They don’t always come singing in beautiful, melodious voices ringing up to the heavens, but speaking a kind word where it is needed. My grandmother is an angel, sent to Earth to change my life. Every time I see her, she teaches me a new lesson. She is so loving, so smart, so willing, so forgiving. So many qualities that we need in this life. Many things have come along in this life to stop her from being this angel, but nothing can sway angels. Whether she is holding her newest grandchild or whispering word of love into the ear of one who needs it, she is always emanating kindness. Angels are always there when you need them, no matter what, with no thought of themselves or of any reward. That’s the way my grandmother is. So as her words play through my mind, I realize something. I believe in angels and my grandmother is one of them.