Natalie - surprise, Arizona

Since I was a baby, there has always been someone who stuck by my side. Out of all people I thought to myself- why the meanest person in the world? Why the most annoying person in the world? Why do I always get stuck with the worst things in life?

When I lived in Chicago, my great-grandma lived in the same house as me. She used to be my babysitter, and she was always home. To me, she was so annoying and I just couldn’t wait to move away from her. She was so mean to me, she never let me do anything and she would just constantly yell at me for no reason at all. I would always try to get her to move into my uncles house or someone else’s house because I just couldn’t stand her. Then finally, the day came! My parents bought a house in Arizona and we were moving. I was so happy to finally get away.

Well now, its been almost four years that I have been living away from my great-grandma and let me tell you, its the hardest situation ever. Since I’ve been here I realized that my great-grandma just really cared for me, thats why she was so strict on me. I realized that she was the one who raised me and taught me everything I need to know. She made me the person I am today. Everyday I miss her more and more and everyday I wish I can just see her. But now as each day passes by theres a less chance that I’ll see her. Just recently my great-grandma became ill. We found out that she has stomach cancer and it’s getting worse each day. She had three strokes and one heart attack since the year 2009 started. She was paralyzed on her whole right side. Now, she is a complete different person. I can’t even talk to her the same anymore because she doesn’t even remember who I am. I cry everytime I hear her voice just because its not the same person talking anymore. I can’t wait to get the chance to see her. It will be hard on me but she means the world to me. All the bad things I ever thought or said about her were a huge mistake. I never meant anything. I love her with all my heart and losing her will be devastating.

This mean grouchy old lady has becone one of the most influential people in my life.

For that reason, I consider her my biggest hero always and forever.

I believe everything happens for a reason & no matter what, my great-grandma will always be my

number one hero.