Support

Mathieu - Ardmore, Pennsylvania

I believe that there is no greater compliment, no greater necessity throughout life, then being supported by those who matter most to you. I believe the single defining aspect of a humans life is that which comes directly or indirectly from support of the ones who you admire. To be supported is a key foundation on which we make our own lives better, on which we strive to push our selves to be the best we can be, regardless of how outsiders may see us. When you are comfortable with the choices you have made due solely in part to the backing of people you trust, you have become a person worth admiring. This I believe.

I was born and raised being pushed, by both my mother and my father, to be the best I could be. This did not mean that I was expected to do more, or be better than that which I could. I suppose this may define great parenting, knowing what your children are capable of, and assuring that they do their absolute best. To maintain this attitude with your children must be difficult, to not overwhelm and not appear as though you are never impressed. I love my parents to death for their equilibrium of support, advice, acceptance, and admiration. They know exactly the right ingredients to keep me doing my best, yet not allowing me to slack. To this day I admire them for instilling these wonderful virtues in me, and always backing me with my decisions…so long as I was always doing my best.

Through my parents support I was able to maintain honor roll worthy grades throughout my high school career, and I was always participating in after school sports. I had excelled in discus as a member of the Junior High track team, and was well on my way to being a major contender in high school level track and field. Needless to say, my parents were concerned when I decided I would not be returning to the sport the following year, and that I wanted to take up skateboarding. When they asked me why I wanted to make this decision, I told them that it was where my heart was. They took me to get my first skateboard. They drove me to the skatepark. They accepted me when I received my first skateboarding fine. Now, at age 22, I still skateboard. I am still thankful that I have had such accepting parents to support that which I was passionate about.

Towards the end of my first semester of traditional four-year college I admitted to my dad that I thought I was making the wrong choice, and that I wanted to attend art school. Without hesitation my parents were helping me find the best art school to fit my needs, for they supported me, as long as I did my best. Now, nearly four years later, here I am moments away from graduating. I have done my best, and my parents could not be more proud of me. That support that I have received from my parents is something I will never forget, and I will always continue to embrace with those I love. I promise to support those important to me so long as they continue to do their best, for there is no greater compliment, no greater necessity in life. This I believe.