The Power of Girls Nights

Monica - Broomall, Pennsylvania

There is nothing a pair of sweatpants, a pint of ice cream, and a night with your best friends cannot fix. No matter if it is problems at school, work, heartbreak or even trouble deciding what pair of pumps should go with what dress, your friends will always be there to help you with whatever you need. And there is no better way to get through it than with a sleepover. After years and years of sleepovers, I have come to believe in the power of Girl’s Nights.

Throughout elementary school, nothing was more exciting than the weekends where my friends and I would take turns having each other over for sleepovers. These nights were filled with board games, make-overs, plenty of food, and contests to see who can stay up the latest, but it was not until I got older that I realized the importance of girl’s nights. I, like many girls, have been through many different groups of friends in my life. We have all spent countless late nights talking about our likes, dislikes, boys, our futures, politics, religion, and anything else that sparked our interest. Regardless of the topic, we talked, gossiped, and squealed about it. We were not there to judge or mock each other. We felt comfortable expressing our opinions and exchanging ideas. I have learned so much from these nights whether it was simple concepts such as how to apply make up, or more complex situations like how to deal with the divorce or one’s parents. In the end, these nights often taught us lessons that could not be taught in any classroom.

Each of these sleepovers has helped me develop who I have come to be as a person. These friends, whether my present friends or friends from my past, have been there to help me through tough times just as they have been there to celebrate times of greatness. As a girl, one experiences highs and lows in life; there are times of insecurity, and times of questioning who you are. For an adolescent girl, these times can get overwhelming and no one can get through them without the encouragement and inspiration of her friends. For me, the words of support and motivation came from countless Girl’s Nights.