Human Rights

Austin - El Mirage, Arizona
Themes: equality

Almost everyday we hear about discrimination. People not liking a certain person because of their heritage. Someone with a disability may not get the same opportunity as someone that does not have a disability. We judge one and another based off of race.

I believe in human rights because of fairness, equal opportunity, and respect toward one and another.

I was in P.E. when I was thinking,” That kid over there is weird.” I didn’t know anything about him and started treating him different. When we started playing our sports, I did not want to include him because I thought he was terrible.

A week later he did not show up at school. The teacher told me that he had a disability and needed to take time off. The teacher wanted us to treat him the way we all wanted to be treated.

The student with the disability should have the same rights as anyone else. As I started to realize how awful he must feel to be picked on. I started talking with this student more and really getting to know him. I have so many opportunities in life and want to start off by setting an example for my peers. I want to show this student that there are kind and respectful people out there and I also want him to know that I have learned from my mistakes. This student has taught me to be a better person.

Ever since I became aware of this students disability, I’ve changed. I now help him in sports. I include him in all activities. I have respect for him, no matter how different he is. That’s what makes America a great place to live because of the diversity and how we are all able to be ourselves.

Today I treat all people the same. I respect them for who they are. I give them the same opportunity as others. I believe in human rights.