A Year Can Change A Lot

Liz - American Fork, Utah

For the last three month I planned to give my band dress back to the teacher. Evarytime I passed his room, I forgot to give it back. I planned to pay attention but I just kept going my way. Things like that happen to me all the time, I just don’t pay attention. It’s not that bad if I still give back the band dress on time, but sometimes I don’t pay attention to more important things.

When I decided to spend a year in the United States, I didn’t expect, that it would be a challenge for me. Not only my attitude and worldviews were different here, but also my religious views. I came to points, where things were questiones, I grew up with. The part of my life, that was most different to the way I lived in Germany, was religion. At a certain time I started realizing, that I couldn’t just walk my way or the way others did and trust those people, that it would be right, because they’re having the same attitude. I didn’t want to be comfortable in trusting others, who all have an opinion, because eventually nobody has a clue. I decided to find out, what’s right for me and compared bad parts with good parts. I never asked myself, why I believed, what I believe. Since the bible calls upon us in 1. Thes. 5,21, to test all things and since I often asked that question so many people around me, I decided to ask myself. Why should the Old Testament, and the New Testament, that was added in the Christian beliefs, be true? It was not too hard, to answer that question, because archeologists found many evidences, that the stories, characters and nations that were talked about in the bible, existed. They also found old documents of the books out of the bibel, that were identical to the text of the bible. Knowing, that the bible couldn’t have been made up by men, I questioned the New Testament. There are more that two hundred predictions that apply to the New Testament. I also learned not to accept the ups and downs in my faith anymore and to stay in a relationship to Jesus Christus and see Him as a friend. Only that way I could grow in faith. My faith was not only tested and a little changed, but also formed and strengthened.

It was very important in my situation not to let others lead my way, but to wake up and find out, what I was doing. When I then found out, it was so much easier to keep going, because I always have to be totally convinced by what I’m doing, otherwise it isn’t worth for me doing it.

I finally turned in the band dress to my teacher, after I kept reminding myself as often as I could. Situations, where I have to question, what I’m doing happen to me all the time. Situations, where I have to question, what I believe in, happen to me even more often. But what I get from it at the end, the confirmation, to do or belive in the right thing, rewards me for every effort I spent. That way I have learned to test and question everything I do and believe in.