I Believe In Skateboarding

Daniel - El Mirage, Arizona

I remember falling and scraping my elbow messing around on a skateboard .This started the feeling of accomplishment for me. Skateboarding is not just a hobby for me it’s a way of life,” eat, sleep, skate,” is my motto. Unfortunately that is not the best motto to live life by. People take skateboarding as a sport for the people who can’t do anything else; well those people are wrong, skateboarding is one of the hardest sports out there. It takes more determination and patience than chasing after a ball like a maniac.

Riding a skateboard and actually being good at it shows that you have patience and determination, which are good life skills to have. Everybody thinks riding a skateboard is easy but they don’t know how hard it is to perfect all your tricks and maneuvers. Skateboarding and life are kind of similar if you think about it, think of this you have to work toward getting a better life,job,salry,etc., skateboarding is exactly the same if you don’t work at it your not going to learn any new tricks and your going to want to quit and your not going to get nothing out of it, Life is the exact same way if don’t do nothing to make it better than nothing will happen you’ll just be in the same situation that you were in before.

Most people criticize skateboarders for destroying property and disturbing the peace that may be true but if there was a skate park built around that area you would not have that problem because a skate park is more than just a park to go skateboard at it’s a place to hang out with friends and have a nice calm chill day. People think skaters are just a bunch a punks who don’t how to do anything; that’s is totally false. People tend to judge them by how they dress or how their hair is and I think that it’s unfair. People need to realize that being a skateboarder is more than riding around the block, it is some peoples only chance to make something out of them selves. If you have a skateboard at your house or just laying around somewhere I challenge you to just try one trick and you will see how much hard work and determination it takes to be a skilled skateboarder.

I just wanted to write this essay because it shows the other side of the story, not just the one that is bad and makes skateboarding look like a sport for punks and misfits. I say give us some slack and just let us ride we don’t bother nobody if they don’t bother us. I thank you for reading this and you should also support your local skaters/skate shop.