The Beauty of a Miracle

Emily - Phoenix, Arizona

In the New Testament, They are known as proof of God’s existence all around us. In the Qur’an, They are deemed a sort of intervention, a revelation in connection with Muhammad himself. Aristotle deemed Them impossible. Baruch Spinoza claims that humans are merely ignorant to Their causes and meanings. James Keller regards Them as proof that God is unfair. They have been used as a creative tool by countless authors, creating characters veiled in mystery and magic. Littlewood’s Laws state that, due to statistics, They occur at an average rate of once per month. They appear in music and religion, medicine and literature. However you define Them, in whatever context you regard Them, however common, or unfair, or mysterious They appear to you, Miracles are a part of our history, present and future.

There is one thing that I know for sure- I believe in miracles. I believe whole-heartedly that they occur all around us, every day, big and small. Every day, people relate the word to such simple acts as acing a test they didn’t study for, but this falls short of the true essence of a miracle. I view miracles as a form of magic, dispersed throughout our world to shake our beliefs, show us the significance of even the smallest things, and renew our faith in fate. Miracles are God’s simple way of reminding us that He’s all around us. Simply put by St. Augustine, “Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.”

Some regard love as the world’s greatest miracle. This extraordinary bond that is felt between two humans is so natural, impossible, and unexplainable that we cannot do anything but accept it for all of its beauty. “Miracles occur naturally as expressions of love. The real miracle is the love that inspires the two people. In this sense everything that comes from love is a miracle.”

I was first introduced to miracles by my third grade teacher. Sure, I had learned of biblical miracles, but I always assumed they were things of myths and legend. Then my teacher began reading us a book called Small Miracles, and my eyes were opened to a new side of the world. A place filled with minute occurrences of magic, where there are exceptions to the laws of nature, as if a supernatural something reached into the world to change its ways. This small, life-changing book contained short stories of ordinary people experiencing the extraordinary. Some miracles were comforting, others life-altering.

My third grade teacher taught me a lesson that has stuck with me my entire life: Everyone has a story and a miracle. I believe that it’s impossible to witness the beauty of another human’s soul until you understand their stories and their miracles. These are the things that make us who we are, that shape our decisions, and therefore our lives. I hope you let everyday miracles flood your life.