I Believe in Taking Chances

Brittany - Chandler, Arizona

I believe in taking chances. Without taking chances, humanity would not have achieved as much as it has today. It was the bravery of men and women who stepped out side of their comfort zone and took chances for what they believed in. I have also taken chances for the things I believe in; no matter the outcome, I do not regret it. By taking chances I have seen what I am truly capable of and all I can accomplish. This has encouraged me to be more outgoing and to have faith in myself. By taking chances, I do not have to look back at situations and think, “what if”.

When I first entered high school, I was shy and did not know anyone since all my friends went to a different school. As I walked into first period, I looked around and realized that everyone already had their own group of friends formed in middle school. I was too intimidated to approach a group by myself so I instead sat in a desk in the back corner of the room. As the day went on I felt more and more alone and nervous especially during lunch. What if I can not make any friends? Then I walked into my last period class I had almost completely given up, I was too shy to approach a group and did not see anyone else alone. The desks in class were almost completely filled so I settled next to a girl sitting in the last row. I first expected her to say, “I’m saving that seat for my friend, sorry” but instead shy gave me a small smile and introduced herself. I in return introduced myself which started a conversation. As we talked she seemed more and more familiar, where had I seen her before? She proceeded to ask which middle school I went to. As I answered I realized why she was so recognizable; we went to the same middle school. With the ice broken, we talked about being intimidated with this new enormous school with the groups already established. She soon became my best friend and together we took risks by introducing ourselves to new people as well as going up to new groups and we soon became comfortable with ourselves which encouraged us to do well in school.

If I hadn’t taken the chance of sitting next to her, just as she took the chance of introducing herself to me, we would not have become best friends. She has influenced the person I am greatly, and I would be nothing without her. I might not be the person I am today, with more confidence and many friends. We bring out the best in each other and now I feel ready to take on college where I will have to take chances everyday.