I Believe in Innocence

Carol - Chandler, Arizona

I believe in innocence. Innocence is the feeling of joy that comes to a child when they receive an ice cream cone on a hot summer day. It is the sheer happiness in one moment, while the rest of the world waits patiently. Innocence is the knowledge of nothing, really. It is the inability to comprehend tragedy, pain, evils, and sin. It is a beautiful ignorance. A newborn is the epitome of innocence; its powerlessness and complete reliance on their parent captures the true essence of needing.

Innocence is childish. What is wrong with being a child? Every day, people hustle and bustle around, doing their best to grow up and go far. And for what? Wasn’t life much easier when your best friend could be imaginary, your clothes didn’t need to be name brand, and boys and girls had ‘cooties’? We as a society push away innocence, and look upon it as a sign of immaturity or inexperience. Children are often viewed as naïve, instead of pure and virtuous. Aren’t we all supposed to be childlike in order to enter the kingdom of heaven? In Matthew 19:14 Jesus says “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Instead of embracing these teachings, we do everything in our power to grow up and grow out of our childlike spirit, like an old pair of pants.

Funny as it may seem, our human nature somehow always brings us back to our initial innocence. The loss of a parent or loved one usually makes us realize how small and powerless we really are in the grand scheme of things. A child in a funeral parlor is so out of place, and yet so much closer to the true meaning of life. A 3-year-old may believe their grandpa is taking a nap, and they will see them again when they awaken, but isn’t that so true? Though they are taken from one life, you will see them in another. Their lack of worldliness or sophistication saves them from the pain of time. Their innocence saves them from all else.

I truly believe in innocence, and I trust that once the world fully grasps its remarkable power, we will have peace, knowledge and everlasting happiness.