I Believe in Optimism

Danielle - USA
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the power of optimism. There is always a brighter way to look at a situation and things can always get better. I believe in living fearless. Living fearless does not mean you have to live without fears, but living in spite of those doubts and overcoming what scares you most. Life throws lots of challenges at us every single day, but we have the power to choose how we want to see a situation. Even though we may go through difficult times, it is important to be fearless and optimistic, to know that life goes on, and to know things will get better.

I have gone through hard situations in my life; I have watched as my friends and family have gone through difficult situations. I was there for my best friend when she had her heart broken for the first time. She lives in spite of her biggest fear at 18, which is getting her heart broken again. Even though she had spent hours crying on her bedroom floor, she had faith that she would meet someone who would treat her right. I believe she is fearless and she has inspired me to live fearless.

Optimism and living fearless is so important to me because the attitude of one person can greatly influence the attitude of another. If I choose to look at life in an optimistic way, that might encourage someone else to look at life in an optimistic way. It is always better to see life with all the positives than the negatives. Life is beautiful and it is important to always remember that, especially when times are difficult.

Professor Randy Pausch is a perfect example of how the attitude of one person can affect the attitude of another. He is someone who has greatly inspired me to live optimistic because he had terminal pancreatic cancer, but he chose to go through life as “a tigger”. He said that people have two choices on how to live life; they can go through life like a tigger, who is always bouncy and joyful, or they can go through life like an “eeyore”, who is always complaining and seeing the down-side to things.

It is not hard to be an optimistic person. Listening to Taylor Swift songs, Hearing Randy Paush’s testimony, and watching my best friend move on from her heartbreaking, all make me want to be an optimistic person. If they can go through all of these hard times and see the positive, then I know I can too. We choose our attitudes, not other people or situations. No matter what life throws at us, we can choose to see the positive, to be optimistic, and to live life fearless.